Why ia a UV meter useful?
It measures the intensity of the ultraviolet light anytime, anywhere! The decreasing quality of the ozone layer can increase exposure to damaging ultraviolet rays. These rays have been linked to sunburns, skin cancer, cataracts, and immune system dysfunction. The UV HAWK™ and UV HAWK™ 2 quickly and easily test the UV index and indicate the level of protection you need before being exposed to prolonged sunlight.
What makes the UV HAWK™ and UV HAWK™ 2 different?
The SPF setting feature of the UV HAWK™ and UV HAWK™ 2 allow you to enter the SPF of the sunblock you are using to show you how much longer you can be exposed to the UV rays. Also, the skin tone setting feature allows you to enter your skin tone (1-4) to show the impact of your skin tone on how long you can be exposed to UV rays. Both units have an audible overexposure alert that warns when you've had enough sun. The UV HAWK™ 2 is also waterproof, allowing it to go wherever you do.
How do you change the SPF setting?
Adjusting the SPF (Sun Protection Factor)
Purpose: By adjusting the SPF setting, you can determine your maximum exposure when factoring in the strength of your sun block lotion. To use this feature, follow these instructions:
1. Press the SPF/Skin button once to put the unit into SPF Adjustment Mode.
Note: the SPF letters will flash when the unit is in SPF Adjustment Mode.
2. Press the Meas./Adj. button to adjust the SPF setting from 0-100 to match the SPF # on your sun block lotion.
3. Press the SPF/Skin button twice to exit SPF Adjustment Mode. Note: The readings of this device will only correspond to the areas with SPF lotion properly applied.
How do you change the skin tone setting?
Adjusting the Skin Tone Setting
Purpose: By adjusting the Skin Tone Setting, you can factor in your approximate skin tone level to get a more accurate estimate of your sunburn exposure limits. To use this feature, follow these instructions:
1. Press the SPF/Skin button twice to put the unit into Skin Tone Adjustment Mode. Note: the SKIN letters will flash when the unit is in Skin Tone Adjustment Mode.
2. Press the Meas./Adj. button to adjust the skin tone from 1 to 4. (See Skin Tone Setting Chart to estimate the correct skin tone setting).
3. Press the SPF/Skin button once to exit the Skin Tone Adjustment Mode.
What is the UV index range?
The range is from 0-15.
How do I change the thermometer to C or F?
Adjusting the Ambient Temperature Scale
This unit contains a built in thermometer, it can be adjusted between
Fahrenheit (F) and Celsius (C) as follows:
1. Press and hold the Meas./Adj. button for 2 seconds until you see the sun icon flashing.
2. Press the SPF/Skin button to toggle between Fahrenheit and Celsius.
What type of battery goes in the UV HAWK™ and UV HAWK™ 2?
The UV HAWK™ uses one CR2016 battery and the UV HAWK™ 2 uses one CR2032 battery.
How do you replace the CR2016 or CR2032 battery?
Change the battery when the low battery icon on the unit is displayed as follows:
1. Remove the screw located on the top backside of the unit and pull the shell apart gently.
2. The battery will be located on the bottom portion of the interior of the unit. Slide the old battery out of the holder.
3. Replace with a new CR2016 or CR2032 battery with the positive side facing up and negative side facing down.
4. Snap the shell gently back in place and tighten the screw.
Can this be used through a window?
The UV HAWK™ and UV HAWK™ 2 can not be used through a window. They can only be used where direct UVA and UVB rays are found.